Monday, September 20, 2010

The Doctor is...In.

You know that one elusive radio song that's super catchy, yet you have no clue who it's by? I have a few of those thanks to my local indie radio station. They're great about playing awesome songs, but not so fabulous about letting me know who the artists are. There's one song they play frequently that I've grown to love, and I've just given up on ever finding out who it's by. I figure a little mystery makes me dig it even more.


So, imagine my surprise when I started listening to Dr. Dog, the musical offering this week from Snark. There it was! *My* song! The song is called Shadow People and I really love it. The melody is familiar, and every time I listen to it, I feel like it's been a part of my musical repertoire for a while. Yet, at the same time it feels remarkable fresh and new. It starts off slow, mellow and entrancing and builds up into a toe-tapping number that makes me smile. I often find myself whistling the tune later on in the day, it's that infectious (and not in an annoying way, like say the herpes, for instance).



The rest of the Dr. Dog songs Snark sent my way follow the same formula. There is something comforting and familiar about them without being too played out or repetitive. After listening to a few songs, I finally realized who Dr. Dog reminded me of: Blind Melon. Sure, there are no little girls running around in bee costumes, and Shannon Hoon's soulful voice is a lot smoother than the twangy styling of lead singer Scott McMicken, but the same heart is felt in both bands, as well as similar melodies.


I can see Dr. Dog becoming a regular part of my musical fare, especially for car rides or hanging around outside. They receive 3.5/5 paws from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment