Tuesday, September 28, 2010

For Whom the Bell Pepper Tolls

When Snark sent me this recipe, it couldn’t have come at a better time. I had leftover roasted chicken and some peppers, and needed something interesting and tasty to do with them. Okay, I might have said, “Hey, Snark. I have leftover roasted chicken and peppers. Make sure your recipe to me this week uses those. kthxbai.”


So, she sent me this recipe for stuffed peppers. I’m 99% certain she just google “chicken, peppers” but either way, I’m more than happy with the results.


I’ll be honest - I used the recipe as a blueprint, and kind of built it up on my own. I had one leftover pepper, but needed to get more and headed over to the local food co-op with the kiddo. We left with 5 different colored peppers.



I also put up some brown rice, even though the recipe didn’t call for it. Whenever I’ve eaten a stuffed vegetable (pepper, cabbage, etc...) there is always rice involved, so I decided to include some here. While the rice was cooking I worked on the rest of the filling. Now, this recipe says to chop up onion and garlic and stuff it raw into the pepper. That didn’t really sit well with me, so I ended up sauteing it a bit first. Also, when I sliced the tops off the peppers, I chopped them up and added it to the pan - no sense in wasting perfectly good pepper!



I added some tomato sauce and shredded chicken to the onion/garlic/pepper mixture and then went to get my paprika. That’s when I realized I was all out. I’m really bad at ensuring I have all my ingredients before settling in to cook. So, I improvised and tossed in some chili powder. By that time, the rice was done so I added that to the man and mixed it all up. I stuffed three different peppers and then sprinkled some cheese over them (instead of mixing it all throughout) and then popped them into the oven to bake.


They came out beautifully.





And, what’s more...they were super tasty as well. It was just the kiddo and me for dinner, and he gave it a raving review (despite 15 minutes later claiming that the onion in the dish caused his back to hurt. We later discovered that it was actually caused by the rug burn his uncle gave him during an exciting game of “dino-ball.” yeah. I still go by his earlier review of “Yum!”).


So, even though I totally bastardized the actual recipe, I’m okay with it, because the stuffed peppers I ended up making we’re pretty damn delicious. 


*Blog title "borrowed" from Snark.

No comments:

Post a Comment