Thursday, September 23, 2010

I'm a Gleek.

I’ve been waiting all summer for the return of this show and this past Tuesday couldn’t come soon enough. I’m not under the impression that Glee is some heady, thought provoking piece of television. In fact, I watch it for the exact opposite reason: It’s an hour of fluffy fun, speckled with guilty pleasure sing-a-longs.


I may have actually spent most of the summer listening to my Glee soundtrack so often, that my kid can now sing the “Da Da Song” (aka Don’t Stop Believing) by heart. Just saying.


The start to the show, where student-blogger Jacob goes around harassing the Glee Club members and Mr. Schuester was a great way to lead into the season. They took actual criticism of the show (Matthew Morrison’s blatant white guy rapping, overuse of the auto-tune feature and showtunes as well as others) and played up the jokes, while giving the audience a laugh. It could have come off as too self-referential, but they didn’t dwell on it - just allowed us to laugh along with them and then moved on.


Thankfully, the show did not compromise any of my favorite characters, including coach Sue Sylvester, played by the incomparable Jane Lynch. With gems like “First of all, female football coach, like a male nurse, sin against nature.” how can you not love her? Her witty barbs and spot on comic timing are part of the reason I keep coming back to the show.


Coach Sylvester doesn’t disappoint, ripping into post-partum cheerleader Quin and Santana with the new boobs. Also, her revenge tactic of serving the new football coach poop cookies had me laughing like a twelve year old boy. Apparently I’m a sucker for potty humor.





I enjoyed the music for the most part this episode, tapping my toes along to the easy sounds of the Glee Club members doing Jay-Z’s New York State of Mind and the Bieberlicious new kid’s rendition of Travis McCoy’s Billionaire.





I could have done without the Broadway tune Rachel belts out at the end or the audition song Sunshyne goes with, but that’s just personal taste and nothing against the actresses that play either of these ladies, because when they broke out into Lady Gaga’s Telephone in the girl’s bathroom? I may have almost peed myself. I kind of have a not so secret guilty obsession with the Gags, and these ladies did a fab job of representing.





I know I didn’t really talk much about plot, but for me...it’s about the snark and the song and I can only hope the rest of the season plays to those strengths!


Oh, you may have been wondering where the heck Snark is today. She promised me she was going to watch Glee so we could talk about together...and then she apparently had better things to do and didn't get around to it. So...she's in time out and *might* be back tomorrow. We'll see...

1 comment:

  1. I also adored the season premiere...but how could not love What I Did for Love at the end?! I've been waiting and waiting for a little Chorus Line to rear it's ugly head on this show! I frickin' LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete