Thursday, September 2, 2010

What's Best About Fall? New TV Shows!

Sass: Autumn is a time for cooler temps, changing leaves, apple pie and...new TV! And thank god, because I was getting really tired of watching reruns and subjecting myself to the latest Housewives of SomeplaceIDon'tCareAbout. Thankfully, new shows of our tried and true favorites are right around the corner and my DVR is already programmed in anticipation of many of them. There are also a couple of new shows I'll be checking out as well. We've each picked our top 5 shows that we're looking forward to starting soon. Here are mine, in no particular order:

House - Monday's at 8PM - Fox
So, I won't lie - I totally started watching this show for the hotness that is Hugh Laurie. I mean, yeah, the premise is great, the acting superb and the writing intricate and smart; but watching the hunky Hugh Laurie all scruffy with an American accent? No brainer - this show is definitely in my top 5. In my opinion, last season was probably the best they've had in the entire series. I can only hope that the writers, directors and actors come back with even more captivating story lines and fresh ways of showcasing their basic formula (Mysterious illness-->Lupus? No! --->try out 10 different cures--->almost kill patient--->Last minute save).

Glee - Tuesday’s at 8PM - FOX
It's not that big a secret that I consider myself a Gleek.I'm that chick who's belting out a radio song at the top of her lung's while cruising down the highway, or serenading my yellow rubber ducky in the shower. I can't sing for squat, though, which is why I live out my secret high school choir fantasies through Glee. A clever mix of campy storylines, cheesy yet lovable songs, and decent acting makes it a hit in my eyes.

My only worry is that they'll jump the shark too soon with this show, as they've already jam packed it with cameo after cameo. If they stick to showcasing the original cast without playing up the show pony aspect, I think Glee has the stuff to stick around for a while.


NBC Thursday Night Line up
There has always been something magical about Thursday nights. It started back with Seinfeld and then Friends and continues to this day. Sure, NBC has had its shares of bombs, but recently they've tightened up their Thursday line up into something quite enjoyable.
Community is fresh and I'm excited to see what they're going to come up with this season, in order to prevent it from growing stale. I'll leave 30 Rock for my other half, but just know...I may have a girly crush on Liz Lemon. I'm a little nervous about the word on the street that Steve Carell will be leaving The Office, and wonder how that will impact this upcoming season. Last season was a little hit or miss, so I'm hoping they come back strong this time. There's a new show rounding out the evening called Outsourced, about a Mumbai based call center. I'm a little wary about this one, but I'll give it a shot. Let's hope that this season's NBC Thursday leaves me with sweet dreams, rather than awkward nightmares

Top Chef - Just Desserts - Wed @10 Bravo
Mr. Sass and I are huge fans of Bravo's Top Chef. Neither of us are gourmet chefs, but for an hour every week I can pretend I am in my own head as I critique seasoned chefs as they take on various food related challenges. In addition, I get to drool over delicious meals prepared in crazy conditions, all from the comfort of my own couch.

How could they ever improve on this idea? The geniuses over at Top Chef apparently have been raiding my pantry and understand how important dessert is in the Sass Household with the creation of Just Desserts. This show will follow the same basic format of the original with quick fire challenges as well as a longer, more intense challenge. I can't wait to see what types of pastries, pies, cakes, cupcakes, and other delectable treats the cheftestants whip up. nom.

Greek - ABCFamily
Greek is like the bastard child you don't talk about. It's my shameful secret. The one I keep stuffed in the back of the closet with my penchant for Chef Boyardee and nineties pop music. Truth time: Not only have I never been involved in a sorority. I made it through four years of undergrad without once stepping foot into a Greek house. I know. I figure my love of this show is filling some empty need I had to drink beer from red plastic cups, worry about whether or not I would be lavaliered, and attend parties where a toga would be acceptable attire. It's cheesy television at it's best, and I may or may not check the ABC Family website at least once a day to see if they've posted the new season's air date.

Now...which of these shows to subject Snark to first?



Snark: Well, first things first, it was really hard for me to choose five shows, and, no, that's not because I was so excited about the fall schedule. It's because I barely watch anything anymore. I mean, I watch tv, but if you asked me what I watched last night, it was probably River Monsters or reruns of Freaks and Geeks on IFC. Also, after having Tivo, it's impossible for me to remember when anything comes on anymore. Days and times have no meaning when you have the trusty digital recorder on your side. Sadly, I don't have one. Thus, I am screwed. So, I'm listing some shows I watch and some shows I want to start watching again. Here are mine... in a particular order:

True Blood - Sundays at 8 Central - HBO
Yeah, I know it's about to end it's season instead of begin, but I just can't help it. I eat this show up like candy. It doesn't help that I, like everyone else, dig the vampires. Although, I was a Buffy girl, too, so I've always had a thing for the undead. If you don't like it, you can just bite me... with your fangs. Especially, if you're Eric... seriously, who knew a wife beater could look so good?

30 Rock - Thursdays at 7:30 Central - NBC
My role model is Tina Fey. I simply adore her. She's funny. She has brown hair. She wears glasses. She could be my doppelganger. Well, not really, but a girl can dream, right? Seriously, this has some of the best writing, actors, guest stars, etc. etc. on television. They deserve all those Emmys they're holding above. I love 30 Rock so much I want to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

Gossip Girl - Mondays at 7 Central - CW
Okay, so this is one of those guilty pleasures of mine. I'm also really behind on it, but I intend to catch up or just soap opera it and start watching again, hoping they haven't gotten that far along in a whole season. I do like the show, and it's filled with pretty things. Also, sadly enough, I read these books when I was in college. I'd 007 it to the YA part of the library and check them out, hiding them under my Jane Austens. We've all been there, right? No? Well, then... um... I was just joking... moving on.


Chuck - Mondays at 8 Central - NBC
I watched Chuck's first season, and I really enjoyed it. Then, last year, NBC, of course, didn't bring it back right away. They had to air all those other crap shows that didn't make it. Chuck didn't come on until a bit later, but by that time, I was Tivoless. I want to make it a point to start watching this again. Also, the main guy is a super cute nerd. When compiling my list, I realized a lot of my choices were based on the men in the show. Obviously, I need to find myself a cute, cool nerd of my own. lol.


Ace of Cakes - whenever I catch it - Food Network
Ok, I've been watching a lot of these cake and cupcake shows because the cable channels are force feeding them down our throats, but Ace of Cakes is my favorite one. I think a big reason for that is the people on the show seem like people I could easily be friends with -- except Duff, he gets on my nerves. They also make some amazing cakes. It's art through baking. And, yes, I did choose the Harry Potter picture on purpose. Jeez.
Also, my love for Ace of Cakes, could be because of the darling Geoff. He has the most monotone remarks and a dry, dry sense of humor. He simply cracks me up. I have the biggest geek girl crush on him. He's artistic, he bakes, he loves dogs, he plays the guitar and sings. Also, he just filed a restraining order against me...

So, what shows are you looking forward to watching? Are there any that you are sad about because they're not coming back. We would love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment