Wednesday, September 22, 2010

It's In the Eye of the Beholder...


Sass: The other day I had my yearly eye check up where I learned that (at 30) my eyesight is *still* deteriorating, my retinas are thinning and on top of all that, I got the “present” of some astigmatism in my left eye, which resulted in a new prescription and contacts. Of course, I came home and bitched about all of this to Snark. We then commiserated about our crappy eyes together.

I first got glasses when I was in ninth grade. There’s really no better way to say “Hello High School!” then with a brand spanking new set of shiny braces and goofy glasses. When I look back at the almost John Lennon style of glasses that I wore, I cringe and thank heavens that my sense of style has slightly improved, (despite my vision having only worsened).

Normally, I wear contacts, finding them to be a better fit for my daily life. My vision is really sucky - I can’t see more than a foot in front of my face without it being incredibly blurry. But, when I wear glasses, I totally rock them. I’ve got a hip pair of midnight blue Calvin Klein glasses with a chartreuse lining.  



If they didn’t make my depth perception all wonky, I’d wear them more often and fulfill the sexy librarian stereotype.
Ah well...sorry nerds.


(I have to step in and say I love that you put your glasses on top of HP7 and that I'm not ashamed that I knew that book without it's cover)


Oh, and since it’s always sunny in Philadelphia (not that I live there or anything. No, really...I don’t), I usually rock my (non-prescription) sunglasses as well. These puppies were five bucks at the local “cheap crap” store, but have been shading my peepers for almost a year now.


Snark: Woohoo for bad eyesight... right?

Well, I got glasses a little bit earlier than Sass. I think I was in fourth grade when I got my first pair. Remember how the nurse would come by and check your vision and hearing? Well, she sent a note home to my mother, informing her that I needed to go to the eye doctor.  


I was amazed by what I had been missing. Traffic lights weren’t fuzzy colors and people had freckles. I remember wearing them and annoying my mom at the grocery store by all the little things I could read from all the way across the store!


Well, even though glasses were amazing, there was a problem. I hated them. Actually, I hated every pair of glasses I had up until high school, I believe. They were big and dorky, and I was angry that I had to wear them. I remember in fifth grade (new school), the nurse repeatedly asked me if I had gotten new glasses (since I lost the ones the previous year). She would keep coming by, but being me, I hadn’t told my mom I’d lost my previous pair. Until high school, I think I “lost” four pairs of glasses.  


Needless to say, I ended up with a new, nerdier pair. In Middle School, even though I KNEW I could see better with them, I wouldn’t wear them. I would copy off friend’s papers when taking notes, or I would ask to copy right off the projector. I took Discoveries as an elective in middle school, and I had the same teacher all three years. She would ask me daily where my glasses were. I always had an excuse.

Looking back, I can’t even imagine how I got by because my eye sight is about the same and without my glasses or contacts, I’m hopeless.


Well, in high school, I realized that my teachers probably weren't going to let me stand next to the overhead to take notes, so I took to wearing my glasses in the classroom. I would then take them OFF to walk through the hallways to my next class. It was pretty ridiculous.

I also got contacts about sophomore year in high school, but by that time, I was a full-fledged glasses wearer. I wore them pretty much all the time all the way through college. They fit me. I never felt dorky for wearing them because I had frames I liked.

These are my newest frames:

 


They're maroonish with gold arms. I mostly wear these on days when my eyes are tired. I wear my contacts pretty much every day these days, but I like to take them out and slip on my glasses when I'm at home. I went to cheap Vision One for my last frames purchase, so I got two pair for like sixty bucks.

These are my other glasses, but they feel crooked on my face, so I don’t wear them that often. And, yes, that is cheetaesque print on the arms. Don't make fun.

Ooh, then we have sunglasses. I love these. I got them at a vintage store in Austin for about $15 which is pretty much the max I’ll spend on sunglasses. I’ve had them for about a year.


So do you wear glasses or are you one of those freaks with 20/20 vision? Let us know even if your sight is perfect. We won't hold it against you... much.

No comments:

Post a Comment