Monday, September 6, 2010

mmm...Mellow Music Monday

When Snark sent me “The xx” as my musical selection for the week, I spent the first few minutes trying to figure out how to even pronounce the band. After giving up I decided to listen while at the airport waiting for my plane back home.

I had a draining few days and wasn’t really in the music mood, but I also didn’t feel like listening to the older couple seated next to me discuss how dry the turkey sandwich they bought at the airport kiosk was. Earbuds in and music on, it was.

I was pleasantly surprised, I have to say. I wasn’t 100% sure what to expect. I hadn’t heard of the band before, and for some reason the name “The xx” had me wary of loud metal music, yet knowing Snark I had a feeling there would be an indie vibe to it. Too often, I find that self-described music sounds way too self-indulgent and pretentious. The songs I listened to from The xx had neither of those qualities.




Even their video falls in line with the vibe I got from their music: clean, easy on the eyes, and just flirting the line of overly pretentious with the black and white aesthetic. I couldn't help but dig the adorkable peeps in the video as well.

It’s easy music - laid back and enjoyable. I almost found myself lulled to sleep during some of the songs from the easy beats and sweet voices singing against simple tunes. I could definitely see adding these guys to my iPod for regular listening. I think they’d be a good fit for lounging around the house on a rainy Sunday afternoon while sipping hot apple cider. Baring those conditions they’d probably be ovely to listen to while I fold laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment