Friday, September 10, 2010

When In Rome...

Or...Venice, rather. Either way, we think Ron Burgundy would approve of the following.
The Venice Film Festival recently took place and stars were out, promoting their films. There were day time interviews, red carpets and parties celebrating the various films - all requiring wardrobe changes. We took a peek at a few of the lovely ladies who were there.


Michelle Williams
Day Time Dress
Sass: Hm...well, first thing’s first - I really dig Michelle William’s hair cut. I’m not really sure if this is recent or not, because the last time I remember seeing her she was climbing out of Dawson’s window down by the creek. But, the pixie cut suits her. I like her day dress; it’s something I would totally wear myself, although not with those clunky shoes. She looks cute and fresh and I have no idea what she’s up to on an afternoon in Venice, but she seems ready for just about anything except a red carpet. I mean, she could even head to the Venice Target and fit right in.

Snark: I think she looks adorable! I really like Michelle Williams and how she weathered Dawson’s Creek by taking the Indie movie route. She also has a pretty fantastic sense of style. This dress is a lot of fun, and not something you’re going to see on just anyone. I dig the shoes as well. She looks like she stepped right off “Me Without You.”


Red Carpet Dress
I like aspects of it, but I don’t think I’m on board with the dress as a whole. The color suits her and the textured top part is interesting. The bow is way too tween however, and gives it a school marm look, all at the same time. I’ll give her a pass though because she still look so darn cute overall.

Call me crazy, but I like this -- the texture, the bow and the hair. I like it. If someone else was wearing it, I’d probably call them crazy, but she’s so cute.


Natalie Portman
Day Time Dress
Confession time: I have a girl crush on Natalie Portman. Not only is she super adorable, but she’s a pretty fab actress and she can speak Hebrew which makes my heart go pitter-pat. Girl crush aside, I’m still able to be objective when it comes to her style.

Her day dress is okay. I’m not a huge fan of polka dots, so I’m not really loving those, and let’s be honest - this is more a large, shapeless t-shirt than a dress, but somehow she still sort of pulls it off. Okay, so maybe I’m a little biased.

I love Natalie Portman as well. She’s really beautiful and talented. I love the polka dots and this dress! She’s so tiny, she can pull this dress off. The normal girl would have to cinch this dress with a belt, but she can pull it off. I love that she’s wearing flats. It’s refreshing.

Red Carpet Dress
I have a sinking suspicion that if you shortened her red carpet gown to mid-thigh it would make one lovely ice skating costume. That’s never a good thing. Also, I’m pretty sure my grandmother has the same clutch.

I do not like this. You pretty much summed it up with the ice skating costume. I dig the clutch. Then again, I have like five purses from Estate Sales, two of them being straw clutches. This dress is just a no go for me.


Cocktail Dress

Finally, I think Natalie got back into the groove with the little navy blue cocktail number. It’s cute, flatters her figure and has the right amount of detail to keep it from being too boring and simple. She could have gone with a jazzier shoe, because otherwise, these sort of get lost at the bottom there.

I just like this dress. I definitely don’t love it. It looks a little like she just pulled it out of her suitcase. I expect a little more oomph. The shoes aren’t bad, but she could have pulled off something fancier with such a simple dress.


Jessica AlbaDay Time Dress

Remember how I said that my grandmother has a similar clutch up above? I’m also pretty sure she has a couch with a similar pattern as Jessica Alba’s day dress. Yikes. There is so much going on that I’m just not sure where to look. The sheer sleeves? The bulls eye roses on her chest? Or the possibly frayed hem? Let’s not even discuss the horribly clunky shoes. Are these going to be a trend now? Because I’m not sure I can get behind clunky, strappy shoes. They look so heavy.

Ugh. I’m not a fan of this dress at all. If it was shorter and didn’t have a ripped feel to it also if the sleeves were... different. I don’t know. I don’t hate the material. I just don’t like the cut. Unlike Sass, I kind of dig the shoes. They just don’t work with this dress.


Red Carpet Dress

Her red carpet dress is a little better. It at least doesn’t hurt my eyes to stare at it for too long. But...her dress has a mullet. I love the color and texture and even the cute style of the top and front of the skirt and then...it descends into a mullet of a train. I don’t think I can approve of that in good conscious.

OMG. Her dress has a mullet? I just read that. Hilarious. It does, but that is in style right now. I don’t think I could pull it off, but it looks cute on her. I’m sure this dress style will be one that we look back on not so fondly, but for right now, I can get behind it. I’m not a fan of the shoes with that dress, though. I do like the shoes, but with a different outfit. I like her hair and earrings, as well.


Cocktail Dress

Oh, Jessica. Maybe it’s me, not you. After looking at her cocktail dress, I think I’ve decided that Jessica and I have opposite tastes in fashion. One fugly dress could be considered an “oops.” Two iffy ones might be seen as simply poor choices. But three? This looks like a velvety gray sack with ruffles stapled on the bottom in an effort to fancy it up. I can toss glitter on macaroni and string it on a necklace, but that still doesn’t make it fine jewelry.

I ADORE THESE HEELS! That’s about it. Call me fashion blind, but I don’t get the dress. I will take those shoes in a nine, though. Someone please ship those to me. 

Do you want to snag any of these dresses for *your* closet?
All pictures taken from people.com

1 comment:

  1. i'm really into the mullet dresses right now! Party in the front bc you can show off your legs, but it's all formal in the back.

    ReplyDelete