Friday, September 3, 2010

Talking About the Emmys, Y'all

Sass: I’m completely clueless when it comes to fashion. I’m never really hip to what the latest trends are and most of my wardrobe consists of jeans, yoga pants, Old Navy basics and old maternity tank tops (Shh...don’t judge).

However, my complete lack of fashion fundamentals doesn’t preclude me from spouting off when I see celebs all dolled up. That’s why I was excited for this Fashion Friday. While I can agonize for hours on end whenever I need to find something formal to wear, I have no problem commenting on the choices of others, especially those on the red carpet.


Snark: I don’t consider myself to be a fashionista by any means, but I do love to get dressed and dolled up. My friends and I are always looking for an excuse to get nice and pretty. Oh, it’s Flag Day? Let’s have a fancy fun dress party!! Ok, not really, but you get what I mean. Finding a new dress, especially if it’s a good deal, is fun for me.

When it comes to the celebrity formal events, like the Emmy’s, my favorite part is the red carpet. I can’t wait to see the hits, but I’m HIGHLY anticipating the misses. What can I say? I’m always looking for a punch line. There were obviously a lot more people we could have picked, but we narrowed it down to our top three best and worst dressed.



Sass's Best Dressed

Kelly Osbourne in Tony Ward
This is the best Kelly’s looked in a while out on the red carpet - very Old Hollywood Glam. The dress fits her perfectly and accentuates her body nicely. It’s different without being too out there and she accessorized well. The hair only sort of reminds me of my grandmother’s, but otherwise - total knock out!

I completely agree! She looks gorgeous. I love the asymmetrical shoulders and the detail in the bottom of the dress. I like her hair. It’s the right style for this dress. Ah-mazing.



Amy Poehler in Max Azria
Now, there’s nothing absolutely jaw dropping or stunning about the dress itself, but the fact that Amy Poehler had a baby only three week ago? Yeah, my jaw dropped at that. I was rocking the sweats and t-shirt couture look at three weeks postpartum, so for getting all dolled up and looking fabulous less than a month after giving birth, Amy gets three cheers from me.

She does look fantastic for just having a baby, but this dress doesn’t really do it for me. I don’t know, maybe she just looks slouchy in the picture.

You’d be a smidge slouchy too if you just popped out a kid only weeks before. Just saying.

I meant slouchy in the shoulders. jeez. ;)


Kevin McHale
This guy can rock a yellow bowtie like noone’s business. With the glasses and the tailored suit, one of my favorite Glee boys rocks the nerdy-chic look!

Oh my! I love chic nerds. He looks adorable.


Sass's Worst Dressed

Lauren Graham in Yigal Azrouel
I think Lorelei Gilmore would have a few words for this outfit. It looks like something I could put together myself with my rudimentary sewing skills, a pillow case and some sheets.

Bahaha. I couldn’t have said it better myself. I’m glad I let you take her.


January Jones in Versace
It looks like somebody took a bunch of coffee filters, cut them into sea shell shapes, dyed them blue and then stuck them onto her in a dress-like pattern. Um, no. Also, if I was attending the Emmy’s, I’d probably run a brush through my hair at least once. Just saying.

I get it, January Jones likes to be daring, cutting edge, etc. etc. blah blah blah, but this is a no go for me, as well. It’s just too much... everything.


Naya Rivera in Simin
Yikes. This looks like a prom-dress reject gone bad. From hairstyle to make up choice, everything seems to be working against her. The bodice and color of the dress look great on her, but everything else is just too much. All the gatherings on the bottom are distracting and her hair must have needed three cans of Aqua-Net to stay in that position.

She looks like a drag queen in training. Too Wong Foo, Naya Rivera. Too. Wong. Foo.


Snark's Best Dressed


Elisabeth Moss in Donna Karen
I ADORE this dress on her. It fits her body perfectly! I think she looks gorgeous. It could have been a wash out with the pale dress and her pale skin, but it’s not at all. The simple makeup, hair and jewelry tie it all in. I love the one shoulder with the extra volume. She just looks like a dream.

I agree, she looks beautiful here. The color isn’t my favorite, but the cut flatters her so much that I’ll overlook that.


Claire Danes in Armani Prive

I love Claire Danes, and I think she always looks stunning and the Emmy’s were no exception. I love sparkles as much as the next girl, but it’s easy to mess up. Ms. Danes did it absolutely perfectly. The dress is the statement piece, and I love that everything else is simple. Also, she is glowing. She looks radiant.

Growing up I always fancied myself Angela from My So-Called Life. While that has nothing to do with what she’s wearing to the Emmy’s, I felt it important to share. Oh, but yeah - she looks fab.



Emily Deschanel in Max Azria
I love this dress! The royal purple looks fantastic against her pale skin, and this is definitely detail done right. The ruffles, the fitted waist, the simple up do, it all works for me. She looks like the definition of a woman to me. She’s a stunner.

Yeah...I’m going to have to disagree here and say that Emily went to the same dress designer that January Jones did. Clearly he had an abundance of coffee filters to use up.


Snark's Worst Dressed


Heidi Klum in Marchesa
Now, I love Heidi Klum and yeah she has still got it going on after four kids, but she needs to scale it back some... or should I say scale it longer. If you have to ask are my buttcheeks showing? Your dress is TOO short.

While I agree with you, I have to say - it’s no big surprise. Heidi’s “thing” is short, tight & shiny. She might want to try a different look...

Christina Hendricks in Zac Posen
I saw on some sites, she was getting the thumbs up for this dress, and I will admit, it’s not the worst dress I’ve ever seen. It just doesn’t do it for me. When I saw a glimpse of her on the tv, all I could think was Boobs! Boobs! Boobs! Now, being rather large in the chest myself, you want to play down the tourette’s boob thoughts. People, no matter what, are going to notice them, so you have to be careful. I’m sure her hair looks nice or the details on the bottom are great, but all I notice are her tatas. That’s never good.

I have no concept of the difficulty of dressing up a well endowed chest, but I kinda think Christina is rocking this dress. Sure, her cleav might be spilling over, and the color is a bit off for her, but she’s got that Va-Va-Voom thing down pat.



Mindy Kaling in Aguri Sagimon
Ack! What is this?! This is like 80’s prom gone wrong. What was she thinking? Ok, you want cocktail length, go for it. I’m even a fan of tulle and poof on the bottom, but with the poof on top of the dress and on top of her head, it’s just too much. She’s a petite girl and this is swallowing her up. Just not good.

Yeah, poor Mindy. What’s up with the funny ladies having a hard time w/formal wear? Tina Fey also falls victim to not being able to dress herself for red carpet events usually (this year she was actually fine). As long as she keeps making me laugh on The Office, I won’t judge too hard.

There were a lot more hits and misses from Emmy night, but we just wanted to give a few examples. Do y’all agree or disagree with us? Also, who are your top three best and worst dressed? Leave us a comment and let us know!

(All Emmy pictures from ocregister.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment